Tuesday 22 November 2011

Handmade for the Holidays

There's music in the air and sales in the stores, lights are going up and that magical cheer is spreading. Yep, that's right, it's Christmas time. And since my birthday has finally come and gone, it's time to start the celebration!

Now, I am a Christmas lover to my core. Fun, food, family; it's pretty much the only thing that makes winter bearable. But it can also be pretty pricey, which is not ideal for this cash-strapped crafter. Luckily, you won't have to break your (piggy) bank to get into the holiday spirit this year! I'm celebrating the season with a month of homemade Christmas craftiness: decorations, cards, gifts... I'm doing it all, with a little help from Klutz.

Gifts tend to be the biggest budget buster, but not with this handy little book. Create personalized art pieces for all of your friends with Paper Stained Glass. These semi-transparent pages are begging to be infused with colour, whether you colour by numbers or go crazy with your own combinations.

Creating these pretty window pieces can be as easy or as detailed as you like. You can start off simple by taping your art to a window, or take it one step further by making a card stock frame (to keep your design sturdy) and attaching a ribbon for hanging.

For a more polished look, put your pieces in a picture frame that can be leaned against a windowsill or hung from a hook. That pretty heron will look great in my mom’s kitchen window! And my friend Rachel is sure to get a kick out of my quirky clothesline picture.

An old lamp gets a new lease on life with a quick wrap of this paper stained glass. I bet this indigo-hued creation will look great in my purple-loving sister's new apartment!


If you're feeling extra fancy, make this pretty paper lantern by folding a piece of cardstock to create a three-sided frame. Tape in your stained glass and finish it off with a battery-operated tea light to make it glow. It's the perfect gift for any little (or big) people who like a little light in the night.

Four great gifts from one simple book! How cool is that? Take a peek through a copy and see which designs inspire you to create some customized art for the ones you love.

And if you’re looking for more ways to decorate your windows, be sure to check back next week. I'm decking my halls with Christmas Window Art. Here’s a sneak peak

2 comments :

  1. i love the tea light latern! what a great idea! i can't wait to make one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree!! The tea light lantern is lovely!!

    ReplyDelete